View Single Post
Old 10 Nov 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3473473)   #100
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
From what I hear, Coca-Cola was not considered to be sufficiently upscale for a series which wanted to market itself as being followed by people who actually drove Porsches and Audis and BMW and Astons and Vettes. Because obviously those people don't drink Coke, right?

But from what I heard, it wasn't just money--it was Coke's everyman ad image. ALMS wanted to be Exclusive, not inclusive---so it excluded itself from the market and excluded its potential fan base from participating. The Racing Series of the Elite ... Like Porsche and Audi wouldn't have brought there cars to the track if Cocal-Cola sponsored the series.

The series should have been smart enough to realize A.) the reach out to the Rich strategy wasn't generating enough income to keep the series alive and B.) Even rich people might drink a Coke or a Budweiser now and then ... but the number of people who buy Mikimoto pearls and also love sports car racing ... it's a Venn diagram with a an infinitesimal overlap.
Not to be rude, but this still doesn't answer the question: What do we actually know about the Coke sponsorship rumor?

Quote:
Whatever ... I don't see where listing experience in any sort of front office position in the ALMS strengthens a resumé.
I disagree. ALMS was awesome. In my book, anybody involved in the series deserves some credit for it.

But I guess we can agree to disagree.

Closer to topic, here's an article on some software updates that WC Vision is implementing:

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/...challenge.html

Last edited by Mechanic Z; 10 Nov 2014 at 18:40.