Old 10 Aug 2013, 09:37 (Ref:3287935)   #40
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
This sort of thing fascinates me - it helps if you're a (possibly misguided) nostalgist like me. I have the first "Autodrome" book and also Julian Hunt's excellent book on tracks and hillclimbs in the UK "Motorsport Explorer". I've really always wanted to spend a couple of months on the Continent, looking up the old courses which are mentioned in classic reports and biographies - Motor Sport magazine did a series of features on these tracks which made interesting reading.

Strictly speaking, most of the tracks in Europe aren't any such thing, since they're largely composed of public roads, such as Rheims and Rouen. I've long wanted to visit those lesser circuits which crop up in accounts of overseas adventures by British privateers and smaller teams - Chimay, Mettet, Cadours etc.. And drive down the "Muldoon" - is that possible now? So much has changed at La Sarthe.... And then there's Sitges in Spain, and Solitude in Germany...it goes on and on, it could take me months. Then add to that those magnificent roads which made up the European Hillclimb Championship, all public roads which can still be covered in your own car.

Oh.... and the Targa Florio, and then there's the Mille Miglia.......crikey, I'll need 6 months, at least, cos I also wanted to see WW1 and WW2 battlefields. The cost, the cost........
Bugger the cost if you have time GO DO IT you will have memories that nobody can take away from you.