View Single Post
Old 23 Jan 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3704425)   #37
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Rose-tinted spectacles and/or selective memory?

I think a dispassionate study will reveal that LH is far better behaved - and certainly more sober - than G Hill ever was.
Now who is - trying to be - selective!

Hill was the ambassador for motor racing, during his earlier life.

In any case, in its halcyon days, the sport was precisely that and drivers let off steam (mainly to relieve tension and stress I would suggest). The BRDC was never noted for its temperance.

Chapman dismissed Ireland as he perhaps relaxed too much.

Pranks and playing jokes upon each other were part of the camaraderie.

Hamilton: embarrassed himself and the nation with his behaviour at Buck House, if you remember.

See Here:

Hamilton's dire record:

And as for this...

Truly lost for words.

Hill's accident: AAIB report:

I would suggest the financial pressure of trying to create his Shadows team created incredible time pressure upon Hill and various matters of administrative detail were passed over. He was never a careless man: daring, yes; but careless? No.

Probably Hill had to be back at base the next day: time pressures again.

Interestingly, neither the aircraft nor Hill's life were insured at the time of the accident. The Lloyds underwriters paid out though, as they can do on a matter of principle since intent had existed to renew.

How do I know this? Well, since my wife worked at the time for the underwriters concerned, perhaps?