View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2017, 09:14 (Ref:3720376)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Forgive me flag, but as a long time rally fan, some of the marshaling I have seen on forest and single venue rallies has been fairly poor. AS has some of the knowledge and dumbness of spectators. People lying in ditches outside a bend with a camera!!

A lot of crews had to rely on speccies to help them out at times in the past. I do understand why, at junctions etc you can't leave a post and there are lots of reasons why this can't be helped, but I have witnessed just as poor marshalling as spectating on a few rallies.

I have tried it and it is not for me, and there has always been this attitude from people who flag, that instead of mentioning it, you simply go and do it. Fair enough. But I simply want to go and watch rallies up close and every now and then be able to help out a crew or warn other of a problem to help you guys out.

Also, getting rid of fans on single venues has a minor risk attached too. If a crew is in a tricky spot and there are very few marshals around, but one or two speccys, it is possible they might be able to help, or at least slow others down. I have not done this, but I know a guy who has done this several times, possible saving an incident and certainly helping. You know how it is on smaller rallies, there can often be a couple of minutes between cars or several going by within a half minute.

So losing speccies completely from stages though safer for them and the ones that are a bit unaware, also means the crews and you marshals lose a bit of help. God forbid people simply help each other, we can't have that can we.