View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2220513)   #62
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The chassis has the rivit holes for the Lola plate, and these have rivits in (tight) to blank them off!OK this starts to tell us it was a pukka Lola tub what you still need to do is dot i`s cros T`s buy locating each owner to establish which car it is/ was
I know of an early 490 that was 'written-off' and rebuilt, but the owner then kept the chassis plate. that car rebuilt with its plate becomes a continuation car so its still the real McCoyThe side pontoon might have been replaced in the distant past by another? Could this tub be the rebuilt tub?could be the old shunted discarded tub if so then its just a tub not a Lola car anymore

The 'outrigger pods' are non standard. They are 25mm wider each side than the new body (T 492) I have and are drilled to take panel clips to hold down anther body in the past.removing them means yr t492 body will be a better "fit"

The roll cage is nearly new.is this a copy of a pukka T490 esk rollcage or what the guys decided would do? The previous owner had them made to replace the saloon style cage which was on the car in 2005 and the 'Karmann Ghia' body was ditched at the same time.this nameless man must have fotos of the car prior to playing around with it all

The front suspension used the Lola tub's pick-up points, as does the rear to the tub, but the rest is March F2.so the rear is full march f2 but what front uprights are utilised?

This car will be a 'bitza' hillclimb car albeit with a Pinto/Hewland Mk9 box as all the mountings are there as Lola did in 77/78.

I would love to put a Rover V8 in there, but i can't stand to cut-off the lola rear frame!no dont go down that route too much hassle plus as Steve said fit 2 litre to run in that class HOWEVER it is stil not impossible to revert to pukka lola IF you can trace the ownership in detail as the cost of buying new lola uprights etc can be counter acted by the sale of March parts ( let me know if u do wanna sell em off) and teh original wishbones etc will not be la la money brakes are street car type so nothing is that special

This is a great project, i would love to find the 'HU' number but it is not that important. It is so far away from a real T 490/492 as to have lost a lot of it's value as a Classic Sports 2000.It is still retrievable IF u can locate its history