View Single Post
Old 2 Dec 2010, 18:35 (Ref:2798737)   #12
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
does it need to be definitively proven? i thought the back and forth was part of the fun.
It is part of the fun. it's all an opinion anyway, a view of what is reality in the world from our own position and thinking.
I'd agree that there is no real objective way of telling who is the best.
But I also think there is far less between the contenders than we realise.
A lot of it is simply their psychological make up and they opportunities that have come their way and the decisions and mistakes they have made.

The points system.
No points system is perfect but the consistency in results after applying several systems to this years championship should tell you that any system giving reasonable balance to the importance of a win and then spacing things closer as you move down the field will give much the same result.

Whether or not the result of the championship is reliable in determining the best driver is another thing altogether. The results of the championship may give us the most successful combination of entrant/constructor and driver, and that is the team element to the WDC result. (team between driver and entrant). The WCC gives us the most successful team.

That doesn't mean it is the best team, or the best team relative to its use of resources, although if you compared the budgets of McLaren, Ferrari, RBR, Renault and Mercedes, you would probably be safe in arguing that Red Bull made the most out of its resources...