View Single Post
Old 15 Mar 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1549683)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
Alcorn was always a mystery to me, he seemed to get very good press at the time, possibly from MAWP froom memory. Though he did win a Brit F3 race, which I felt meant something then, he didn't do a lot else did he. Again OTOH, he was pretty well backed, by the standards of the time.

Paul Warwick, I'm sorry to say, never really did it for me. OK he won loads in Brit 3000, but against who ?? In 2000 and F3, he didn't shine at all, I never thought he looked a patch on his big brother.
John Alcorn, aka 'The Essex Jockey'!!

Very amusing!!

You're right, he was a decent pedaller in F3 and he and his father's outfit (Becsport?) were tyring like mad to get an FIA 3000 budget together for 1990 or 91 IIRC.

Have a feeling he was at an end of year test that were annually organised by that 'Red and White fag' sponsor one year and did pretty well against some people who went all the way. Trouble is i can't remember (again!) if it was at the end of his Super Ford year ('87?) or one of his F3 seasons.

1989 was a classic F3 season for me so he must have been good to win a race that year. 1990 was a bad year as Hakkinen and Salo were miles clear of the rest, so John didn't get the right results.

He's probably one of those drivers that would've got further if he was competing at those levels in less competitive years as there were so many potential stars at the time.

I might include the late Paul W in that bracket as well - certainly very good but maybe not ultimately an out and out ace - but there were a lot of people who thought he was, including me.