View Single Post
Old 19 Sep 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3306152)   #1
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013 USGP: Better promotion than last year

If you look to the left, you can see that I live in the Houston, Texas area. For the geographically challenged, that's roughly two hours from Austin and CotA.

Last year, the inaugural USGP had almost zero regional promotion. I am pretty certain that the promoters were using the inaugural event as the draw. It appears to have paid off, as over 118,000 people attended last year.

This year, they have to promote, and I'm seeing that locally. I've seen ads on at least two local stations for the 2013 USGP. I've also seen billboards next to the major freeways (I-10 and the Sam Houston Tollway).

That's a good thing, mehtinks. I don't know how much promotion there is in other regional markets (Dallas, San Antonio) or other large markets (NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.) for the USGP. I'd imagine very little in the larger markets, because the people who are able to attend don't need a commercial to remind them.