View Single Post
Old 27 Jul 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1974623)   #48
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just found this thread so apologies if what I quote below has now been answered in this and other threads!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
IIRC Gerry built his own cars.

Only the prod saloon Capris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Some probably were guys.
Quote:

I think Gerry's prodsaloons were built by Richard Asquith, i don't know if the Grp1 cars were - i seem to remember him mentioning Roger Dowson or somebody at one point?

I wonder were Gerry's and Graham's cars built from new of were they purchased from an existing prep firm like CC?
The prod saloons were built mainly by GMR (Gerry Marshall Racing) by Roger (after the Dolomite and Rover deal had gone sour) and then Richard Asquith as Marshall Asquith Racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
A gaggle of Capris [is that the correct collective description ] that had been professionally built in the UK were run by Derek Shortall, Brian Tuite and Eddie Regan among others in the early 1980s in Ireland. I believe they may have been built by CC or Marshall... Tuite's was sponsored by BASF at one point, with intricate concentric circles as its livery... another was sponsored by Sanyo IIRC. May help to fill in one or two gaps in the bloodlines of the CC cars [if they were indeed CC machines].

There used to be a yearly race at Mondello that Gerry used to do and he would use it as a way of selling his race cars and quite a few “Marshall” Capris ended up out there.

Quote:
Have a sneaking suspicion that one of those was Gerry Marshall's old Triplex prodsaloon. The car is now run by Skid Scarborough in Classic Grp 1.
Quote:

AFAIK these were all prodsaloons and not ex BTCC cars. Roger Dowson and Richard Asquith built quite a few prodsaloons in the early 80's.
Quote:
Yep,
Quote:

Skids's car was a prodsaloon from (I believe) the Snetterton 24hrs in 1980(?). It was rolled by another driver in Ireland. This is from a conversation I had with Skid some years ago. Gerry M certainly built it.
The Triplex car was a proper BTCC car and was the ex Colin Vandervell car and therefore I would assume a proper CC car. It was a mark two built car that was then updated with a mark three front and other bits and it was probably the unluckiest car Gerry raced, he led about 6 races in ‘81 but only won one of them.

Skid’s car is a Marshall built car and I think it is the one that Eric Cook mostly raced in the early/mid ‘80s in prod saloons and was then sold to Ireland and rolled as Skid and Peter mention