View Single Post
Old 5 Nov 2017, 20:49 (Ref:3778889)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The event consists of two 95-lap races over a 2.65-km/1.65-mi, 14-turn street circuit to give 500 km overall.

Despite it being a street circuit, only four of the 14 turns appear to be conventional, 90-degree intersection turns (Turns 2 and 7-9). At least from what I've seen so far, Turn 1 is less than 90 degrees, and has a more radiused inner margin, so it should be quicker than might be expected.

There's a great esses section from Turns 3-6, which kind of reminds me of the esses at San Antonio when IMSA ran the course there counterclockwise in 1989-90. You also get a few nice sweeping corners at Turns 10-11 and 14. Those bends on the run from Turn 9 to the T12 hairpin sort of remind me of the back stretch at the CART circuit in Denver (2002-06).

Hopefully, they position the cameras such that we get at least some appreciation for the climb from Turn 1 to T2, and then the descent through the esses, as this track has some marked elevation changes.

Finally, over the course of a lap, it looks like there are three good overtaking points, at Turns 1, 2, and 12. Also, I could see things happening in the rhythm sections that stretch from the exit of Turn 2 to the exit of T9.

It'll be a fast course, especially for a street circuit. Honestly, I'd kind of like to see Indy Cars or LMPs have a go here. It looks like fun, and with real scope for racing as well.

Here's that recent flyover video again to get a preliminary look at the track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D6R...ature=youtu.be