View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2014, 07:06 (Ref:3394232)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I used to be a regular visitor to the museum back in its early days (it was somewhere for us to go on our motorbikes at the weekend) and was always mightily impressed with what there was there, Tom Wheatcroft was a true enthusiast.
I've a feeling that some of the family jewels had to be sold in order to raise the cash to rebuild Donington after the place was raped by Simon Gillette, so that could explain why the exhibits were a little sparse on your last visit. I also seem to remember that during the Gillette affair there was a lot of nervousness about want could happen to the exhibits from private owners who had loaned vehicles to the museum. Maybe they too pulled their cars out of the place to preserve their safety?
With regard to the military vehicles, I know that is Kevin Wheatcroft's personal interest, and he used to house them elsewhere. He's probably put them in there for the time being to fill the place up...