Thread: Track Design
View Single Post
Old 23 Sep 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2296205)   #19
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by matarleton
Does everyone on this board that are designing these tracks think they are F1 designers? It seems that the only tracks people will theortically design for is F1. Also, everyone compares their track elements to others. Is it really design if you can say that this turn is like Barcelona and this approach is like Spa? Will their designs ever be more than just cut and paste compilations of other tracks?

Is it all fantasy? Is anyone on this forum actually an aspiring designer or a current designer besides myself and Luiggi?

These "designers" seem to thumb their noses at business and guidelines becuase it interferes with some "art form" they seem to be subscribing to. How about reality?

Matt
For may of us F1 circuits are the only circuits which we get to see in real detail due to the TV coverage. While Club and National meetings may have TV coverage, it's trackside, with no Helicopter shots etc that allow an overview.
Likewise for those of us who actually attend Club, National meetings or even F1, spectator perspective of corners is very different again from on-board TV pictures etc.

So in some ways F1 becomes a default simply because it is the most usable reference.

Regarding is it all Fantasy, for the most part I'd say yes. On the main forum page the blurb for the my tracks section states...
Quote:
Building on the success of the "My Tracks" thread there is now a specific sub-forum for the budding and not so budding track designers on Ten-Tenths.
This space has always been a mixture of "back of a school book" doodles and computer generated images ranging from single line using MS Paint or similar through to "GIMP" and now Sketch-up.
Having said that I think we'd all like to think that given a lottery win, we would give body parts for the chance evolve one of our designs into reality.

I don't think it's thumbing their noses. Given that for the most part it's fantasy, business models really aren't part of the thinking.
I think also there is a cultural difference around the world in what would work in terms of a business model. Luiggi has suggested a Drag strip as the main money maker where he is, you have commented on being able to split the circuit and run two events simultaneously, where as where I live I can't see a purpose build drag strip breaking even, and can't really see enough business to support a secondary paddock facility either.
Don't get me wrong, there is Drag strips that operate but they are based on the runways of disused airfields. And there is tracks which can support an event and a race school at the same time. My own local track runs a rally "experience" on a section of the perimeter roads on the outside of the track at the same time as race "experience" on the track...though on Race Days the events are limited to the Track and it's karting centre.

Regarding CAD, at the moment you probably are. Bio before he was chased off started out with a CAD package (not sure which one) before trying out various other softwares. I'm working almost exclusively with the free version Sketch-up which is CAD like. I think most other people (sorry if I've mised anyone) are using a variety of Graphics packages rather than CAD.