View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2677565)   #17
rkshanahan
Rookie

rkshanahan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the cranks I have are marked "Laystall" and dated. The 1964 cranks appear to be modified MAE cranks, in that the snout is to SCA dimensions to mount the gear for the cam drive, but part of the keyway for the standard snout and pulley remains. The cranks that are dated 1965 do not have evidence of the keyway, so I assume they were purpose built for the SCA. By the way, the SCA has a rather unusual method of driving the crank gear. The gear itself floats on the snout on a bronze bushing and is connected to the crank via a small shaft that presses into the crank snout and the forward end of the crank gear. There are two pins sticking out the front of the crank that engage with slots in the rear edge of the gear. This setup allows the crank gear to rotate slightly as the shaft torques. I am guessing that this allows for absorbing some torsional shock and vibration in order to prolong the life of the geartrain for the cam drive. I am told the FVA used a similar arrangement but the DFV instead used a compound drive gear futher up the drivetrain that had similar shock absorption features. If anyone is interested in any of this I will see if I can take some photos and post them.

Rob