Thread: 2011 calendar
View Single Post
Old 8 Aug 2010, 04:59 (Ref:2741240)   #17
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Loosing Lime Rock will be a blow but this will be the choice of the series (and teams), not the track. The changes made to the track were largely to keep ALMS there. You could have left the track alone for Grand Am, that should tell you plenty about the performance of DP's, even going forward.

Mid Ohio had a good turnout again, though the back-straight main stand was about 1/2 full, but plenty of spectators around the circuit. I suspect Indy Car will draw higher tomorrow. Make any excuse you want, but I think not having the factories presents in the series hurts.

The rumor (from the Stuffed One) says Mid Ohio's new owners are unlikely to bring the series back. Now having said what I did earlier, its likely the sanction fees are the problem.

Mid-Ohio is a fan favorite, so will they do what needed to keep it on the schedule?

The Bear also reports Road America is happy with its connections to NASCAR and largely ignored part of the country by NASCAR. I also said someplace else, I think it was the Speed forums, that RA management shouldn't be lured in by its big fan turnout for this year's Nationwide race. By year three turnout in Mexico was down 50%....

So I'm taking any discussion of the ALMS schedule seriously.

My Proposed 2011 Schedule -
  • Sebring 12 Hours (Apart of the Intercontinental Cup)
  • St Petersberg, FL (Round 1 of ALMS Regular Season)
  • Long Beach Grand Prix
  • Laguna Seca 6 Hours
  • Le Mans Test and Race Break
  • Larry H. Miller Dealerships Grand Prix, Utah
  • Lime Rock (Despite compliants from a few drivers)
  • Baltimore Street Circuit*
  • Mid Ohio Sports Car Course
  • Road America
  • Sears Point*
  • Petit Le Mans (Apart of The Intercontinental Cup)

*New for 2011