View Single Post
Old 29 Dec 2009, 02:45 (Ref:2605839)   #40
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Hi there Andrew and welcome back!

I actually had missed your ocean dynamo posts, not sure how... Interesting. Would there be a way to harness the energy generated and transfer it to a prototype at LeMans? Perhaps quick change energy cells, changable at pitstops?

Anyway, on the super cooled oil on exhaust valve treatise, firstly, how are you cooling the oil and is this oil different then operational oil for the engine? Won't super cooled oil cause a temperature shock to the materials of the valve and seat (or 'nest' as you are using) with rapid expansion/contraction cycles and lead to material degradation and thus material failure?

Perhaps throwing away the idea of current valve design and architecture has merit and instead replaced with a rotating disk with ports on the disk face, all rotating in time wth the exhaust cycles, thus presented a cooled area to the combustion exhaust cycle, which then rotates away to have temperature moderated while the next phase of the disk endures the cycle. This... while picking up drag from the rotating disk and the bearings and the drive of same, would realize at the same time a saving of the loss of power to the valve springs (ignoring the pneumatic systems in use in F1 which I know work around this and also work around problems with mechanical spring oscilation at high operational frequency-and of course the remainder of the Christmas beer, which is having the effect of limiting my thought processes on that matter, thus leading to me responding in the first place! )

robert