View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 2012, 11:56 (Ref:3085570)   #1325
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It is garage 56, it isn't meant to be the same. Equally the rationale that it isn't new technology doesn't stack up either, it is never going to be completely new technology. Even fuel cell isn't. The ACO wouldn't let it race if there wasn't some background.
Well, despite the claims of many, motor racing doesn't actually introduce much technology to the market. People often claim stuff like disc brakes were first introduced in motor racing, but they were seen elsewhere first. So I was going on the idea of it being 'new to racing' technology, rather than never seen before.

As far as I know, hydrogen fuel cell hasn't been used before in professional motor racing, which makes it new enough. The closest to new technology that the DW brings is the torque vector steering, but Mitsubishi first ran that in WRC in the 90s. This is the first time it's been used in sportscars I think though.

Here's an interesting question, largely based on aesthetics, that I haven't seen asked (or answered) before. Why does it have 2 roll blades? The original IndyCar concept had 1 roll blade, but when that project failed and it moved to sportscars, it suddenly had a second roll blade. I presume that is there only to make it look kinda half like an LMP, but if the point was to look like an LMP, then the second roll blade doesn't do much to undo the rest of the cars unique looks. Given the entire point of the car was to reduce drag, wouldn't it be better just to go back to 1 roll blade, since the second is purely there for aesthetics, and adding drag? I found that a very odd design choice.

Of course with 1 blade they wouldn't have been able to use an existing chassis I suppose, but the choice of the extra blade was made long before it was discovered that the AMR-One was a failure.

Quote:
I'm surprised that those who naturally whinge haven't picked this up to add weight to the view that sportscar racing could be improved in all categories.
Was "add weight" a pun used on purpose? I found that rather clever.