View Single Post
Old 19 Jun 2017, 07:56 (Ref:3745098)   #5573
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Toyota were unlucky wuith the punctures, but they also need to stand back and look at themselves.

I have to also say, what on earth does Huges De Chunac do for TMG?.......other than just stand there with 1 finger on his lip?

For a flailing tyre to sever a hydraulic line, this is easy to predict at the design stage of a car, hence I feel the hydraulic lines should have been more carefully routed and engineered, then it could have made it back to the pits for repairs

Yes the servicability of the KERS units or anything mechanical is key, but I fear they were stuck with trying to achieve the minimum weight versus serviceability, as all the extra brackets and clamps will weigh more.

I am very reliably told by people within Toyota-TMG Cologne that the 2016 failure was due to the boost pipe being made from minimal layers of carbon, as they were trying to hit the minimum weight target, to the point that major body panels were also re-made with minimal carbon layers, whereby you could easily depress the bodywork by hand........but really LeMans is not Monaco, so carrying an extra 5-10Kg is worth it for a 24Hr endurance race.......again it seems F1 principles are clouding a decent LPM1 team........serviceability is more important than minimum weight