View Single Post
Old 4 Sep 2008, 00:19 (Ref:2281286)   #64
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
You just excluded 95% of todays modern cars that would fit the "real cars racing" idea
Again, good idea, but doesn't suit the slot for "real cars racing".
The question is: Do people care? DTM success in spite of the million problems the series is facing suggests, that they don't. At least not here in Germany.
The problem with "real cars" is that these cars are severly compromised, when it comes to their adoptability for racing, as they are built with everyday-useability in mind, with racing only being an afterthought. This is absolutely understandable and okay for me, after all, who would want to buy a severly compromised roadcar, just because it is a good racecar in the hands of an Andy Priaulx?
And in a way, this is the very nature of touring car racing, i.e. a contest to decide which roadcar is the fastest, but on the other hand, this increases the developement costs for competitive "real" racing cars significantly. Especially with the very restrictive rulesets that we have in most series today.
And if people don't care - is it really worth it? "Real Cars- Real Racing" is a nice slogan, but is it really feasible in todays racing world?

Quote:
Wider tires and less aero grip still wouldn't tackle the inherent problem of a FWD car chewing through the rubber. In a situation were the engine is not the limiting factor, a RWD will always be able to push it's rubber much harder since it divides the load more evenly across all 4 tires.
Or are you suggesting wider tires should be allowed for FWD cars relative RWD cars?
Reminds me of an interesting article I read some days ago: Back in the late 80s a Dodge team in IMSA-GTU built two tubeframe-Daytonas, one FWD and one RWD. Both cars used the same tyres, only the FWD car used the wider tires, that the RWD car had on the rear-wheels, on the front wheels.
Maybe a setup like that would work.

Last edited by Speed-King; 4 Sep 2008 at 00:22.