View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2022, 19:13 (Ref:4118359)   #1689
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unfortunately it brought into focus though another part failing, that being the roll structure.

I believe that the Alfa Romeo doesn't use a "triangular" structure but a single column style (which other teams have used) and it's this which appears to have failed. I honestly don't know if the triangular design would have made any difference to the crash.

What's unclear and don't get me wrong I'm not having a pop at the Halo here, is whether in keeping the drivers head off the ground, the halo contributed to the car remaining upside down so so long and so putting previously untested stresses on the roll cage?

Total speculation on my part, and of course the Halo must be praised for the job it did in the F2 crash that otherwise would have had a very different outcome.