View Single Post
Old 10 Apr 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3725313)   #14
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Tough call.

Ferrari did the right thing with Vettel's stop under VSC. Unfortunately for them it didn't work out for them because of the real SC soon afterwards. Without that everyone would have said how brilliant that call was.
Furthermore they split their options by keeping Raikkonen out.
Kudos to them for not ordering Kimi to move over, although that didn't help to maximize their result.
Why did they leave Kimi out for so long on shot tires?

Red Bull: why didn't they pit one of the drivers under VSC? I worked out perfectly now, but it could have been totally different.
As for the result: I think they got the maximum out of it.

Toro Rosso: Nice to see them let Sainz get on with his gamble on slicks. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened without VSC and SC and normal time-consuming stop for everyone else. It's unlikely Carlos would have finished higher than 7th, but would have been nice to see him up there for a while.

Right now, I think splitting your options between your drivers is a pretty good call if you want to maximize your chances.
* what would have happened if Verstappen (or Ricciardo) had started on slicks and there was no SC or VSC in the first few laps?
* ditto Vettel (or Raikkonen)

I think it would have been worth a gamble for Red Bull too. At this moment in time, the best they can hope for is 5th and 6th in a regular fight.
Raikkonen underachieved and Bottas spun, that helped them to get 3rd and 4th.

To beat all 4, they need to do something different.

Last edited by gert; 10 Apr 2017 at 15:36.