Thread: Is it a sport?
View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3756104)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Auto racing as a sport or competition (I'm not denying that in it's purest form it's a sport and competition), is unique in that unlike most stick and ball sports where you only have two teams competing at the same time or a bunch of individuals competing at the same time, you have multiple teams competing at the same time.

I suppose what the question ought to be is how contrived or manufactured do you want the "sport" to be? Or, how much of it do you want to be a sport vs how much do you want it to be entertainment? Were do you draw the line?
I'm afraid the organisers of the sport can't live in the idealistic world of a forum poster. They have to make compromises and be pragmatic. So we have BoP and we have rules like first 1km under EV only. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. GT has millions of entrants and close races and is the most fake really with BoP, but it's generally liked. Prototype pushed the competition boundaries in terms of technology to the limit and it is failing at the moment and is a complete joke now, apparently.

It's success or not has no bearing on this. Otherwise GTE is more sport than prototype.

It's a sport.