View Single Post
Old 26 May 2008, 18:32 (Ref:2212425)   #22
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Am trying to think of all teh guys that ran Volvo's in European rallycross!!

Most of them would ahve been running similar of not higher engine specs than WTCC.

I know Kenny Hansen ran one for a year, Peo Davidsson, Hakan Ivarsson, Eivind Opland ran an ex Nystrom car that heold the lap record at Lydden for years!!

There were loads of them around in Sweden/Norway I remember, aswell as pretty potent Saabs from Norstedt, Kallio, etc

And guys, quick note.

I ahve Birger Schanke in a 240 finishing in teh points in a few rounds in 1988 in European rallycross

And also Tom Einar Aaserud ran one for a while, Tomm Vestli (Fina car)

You can tel I ahve my Laumanns books out!!
There were certainly plenty of Group A Volvos in Division 1. From memory though, they fell off the pace to a large degree once the RS500s started to appear in force in 1988

I also remember sometime BTCC-racer Tommy Rustad hurling a 240 around Brands in a pretty extrovert manner at a Rallycross GP meeting- think that was a long way from a Div 1 GpA car though- something like 2.7 litre normally aspirated?