View Single Post
Old 23 Mar 2016, 10:53 (Ref:3626260)   #13
zbrickdriver
Rookie

zbrickdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
royal rp24

It is amazing to come across this conversation about the rp24 that was purchased by Stuart Veitch (jubilee race hire) back in 1977. I was one of the drivers of that car, painted in McLarin orange. Stuart had an rp21 that he had raced ( and often crashed) in 1976 and he began his race hire business because he was going broke fixing the rp21 all the time. I started out driving the rp21 but never felt good or secure in it. When the rp24 came along, everthing changed. I loved that car and found it much easier to drive fast. It may have been because of its understeer characteristics that I felt safer in it but whatever the reason, I ran in the Dulap "star of tomorrow" series and various other races that year. I remember a Brazilian who also used the rp24 and how he crashed it on saturday when I was supposed to drive it on Sunday. I assumed that I had lost my ride but went to Malory to watch the racing anyway. When I arrived around 10pm Saturday night, there was Stuart working away to rebuild the car for me. Being unprepared to race, I had to borrow a helmet and driving suit but I had a great race and the car performed beautifully. My best result in the Royal was a second at Snetterton. The following year Stuart switched to Crossle formula fords which explains the change in ownership. I went on to buy a Van Diemen for the 1978 season so my affair with Royal ended but I am thankful for the rp24 which gave me a lot of confidence that I never would have had in the rp21. I hope you guys enjoy the car as much as I did. Cheers.