View Single Post
Old 24 Jan 2017, 12:05 (Ref:3704738)   #68
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham View Post
Well the last time I attended an actual GP was the British GP at Silverstone in 1973. MY team were in a support race.

Massive crash at the end of lap one. All rather silly.

I was also at Brands in 1971 for the World Championship Victory Race; so very sadly Seppi (Jo Siffert) was killed. I was standing immediately opposite the site (Strangely enough, next to Jenks).

Some time later, I was enjoying a pint and a chat in my motor sport club's bar with a senior member who was also at that time a member of the RAC Competitions Committee, who had the onerous task of considering Siffert's accident and the Post Mortem results.

He told me all about it. Very sad and unnecessary fatality.

Perhaps for myself, Jonesy Boy (Alan Jones) stating the reason he retired was "There is no way I am gonna ******* risk my life to drive a turbocharged go-kart with my arse one inch off the ground, Mate!"

The sliding skirt era was perhaps the crux of the insanity of motor racing being driven by technology; and sponsor's large wallets.

And carnage. Guess who led the charge?

"By 1980 escalating cornering speeds was becoming a real concern. It was the focal point of a furious dispute between the governing body FISA, typically supported by the manufacturer teams Ferrari, Renault and Alfa Romeo, and the constructors’ association FOCA, led by Brabham boss Bernie Ecclestone."

Good analysis Here:

A small little known tale: Chunky (Chapman) at one time dreamed up his vision of the ultimate monoposto racing car. It would have a very flat engine/transmission and the driver would lie flat out facing forward, operating the pedals at the rear. The wind resistance would be very low.

He apparently floated this Daliesque insanity past the regulators who sort of told him to see a shrink!

I wonder just how many "F1 Enthusiasts" regularly attend meetings: following the circus all around the globe?

Very few I posit. Watch in on the box, mostly, I suggest.

Today, can actual spectators visit the paddock? Mingle with the drivers and teams? Properly participate in the event?

I used to; and that was real motor racing.
Great stories!

I wish I had the opportunity to watch racing back then but at times, I'm glad I didn't.

I've watched on the box since 90s. Does this make me any less of a fan if I could go to every race around the world?

The exclusivity of the sport can make it more appealing and I cannot imagine the logistical and security nightmare of allowing everyone into the paddock.

As for safety pioneers and Bern....
↓this
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Thank you Bernie, I congratulate you on an outstanding career, time now to relax and allow Liberty Media to take us into 2017 and beyond ...
X2