View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2304575)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to catch up with you, too, Tim, and also Ken Paton, as well as, for the first time, Rod Begbie (TVR Gantura), another 10-Tenther, down from Aberdeen. There was some great racing and some interesting moments, some of which I captured. The most dramatic event of the day was the series of barrel rolls undertaken by Rob Spencer's MGB GTV8 when he got onto the grass on the exit of Coram and one side of car dug in and launched him. We reckon at least 5 rolls, and the height the car reached off the ground was extraordinary. It was the most violent roll I personally have seen in over 40 years of spectating, and a massive relief to see Rob get out of the car and walk away unaided - a real testament to the strength of the roll cage and safety harness.

I'm afraid the commentary irritated a little with the occasional high pitched rendition of 'whoosh, whoosh' as well as the odd comment which suggested that the spectators were mainly composed of children! Nevertheless, a good meeting, and I was rather surprised not to see more MGCC members cars in the car parks. The forecast may have put a lot of people off, but in fact, the rain pretty much held off all day although the wind made it feel a lot colder than it actually was. I have 'bottled out' of going back today, as the cold wind has now been joined by rain, but I deny all charges of being a 'fair weather' enthusiast.

Pics, later!