View Single Post
Old 13 Jun 2017, 07:26 (Ref:3740772)   #21
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think we all must remember that everyone has different objectives here.
We enthusiasts want to watch the racing, as much of the racing and in as high quality as possible and would prefer to do this where we are most comfortable with the smallest cost & inconvenience to ourselves.
The TV companies broadcast the racing to make money (over and above what it costs them to do so), and ITV do this by selling advertising to be shown within the coverage and therefore hopefully seen by the people watching.
The teams are mainly in it for the sport, but competing also costs (a hell of a lot of) money which they get from sponsorship generated a lot by the fact that the racing is shown on free to air, National TV, meaning that the sponsors should get good exposure/value for money (sponsors are there for only one reason).
If super-duper coverage is streamed live on the internet, who is going to pay for it? (If it goes behind a pay wall, the numbers watching will decrease meaning less exposure for the sponsors). If it is available on-demand over the internet and there are no adverts, where does the revenue come from to pay for the coverage?
I know that 'things are different nowadays', but when my interest in motorsport began I had to be content with sparse TV coverage of certain Grand Prix, and later as far as the BTCC was concerned, recorded highlights shown on Grandstand a few weeks after the event and often not at the time advertised meaning that if I did try to record it, I'd end up with hours of horse racing instead of Touring Car Racing!