View Single Post
Old 19 Nov 2012, 09:31 (Ref:3168364)   #15
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Yeah, they run P Zero slicks now. Used to run cut down(i think) Toyo street tires with a racing compound, did make for some good races with Andy Pilgrim would come storming back through the field as the tires he saved under the Caddy helped him pass the fast starters. And maybe the best Audi commercial ever was the start of a race in the rain; think Caddy or Viper had locked out the front row. Lights go out to start and suddenly there appears the Audis out from behind the front row and around the leaders to turn 1. Was an impressive ad for Quattro.

Series might get some better pub now with F1 joining them on NBC Sports. And apparently there's some other race series on there too
I believe they used to run shaved Toyo Proxes Ra1's. I think that Audi commercial was from a Derek Bell start at a wet Mosport. I've loved WC since I started going to sports car races in the mid-90's... moving from SPEED channel, and the adding of classes turned me off. I enjoyed single-class GT sprint races and more traditional touring car races as separate events.

The move to add GT3 cars is nothing official from what I've seen. As has been pointed out, "GT3"-ish cars have been featured in the series since 2006, when the (modified) DBRS9 made its debut. Last year we even had one-offs from an Audi R8 lms.

I think GMG has suggested they could run as many as five R8 lms/Ultra next year. I also think that a couple of teams are looking at bringing GT3-sourced machinery into WCGT, but they will have to change the cars to satisfy SCCA scrutineers.

Chris