View Single Post
Old 28 Jul 2007, 10:23 (Ref:1975228)   #50
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Interesting. Did the Capri originally run in the 1978 or 79 seasons in Grp 1 before Gerry ran a Dolly for a year before packing the BTCC in to do prodsaloons?

I don't recall him running in BTCC in 1981 although I do remember Vandervell's name being in a few programmes?

I may have mentioned it eralier in the thread but at some points in 1981 there were nearly half a dozen Capris entered for Tricentrol but only half a dozen regular cars in 1982.

It would have been great if Gerry had been pedalling a Grp 1 Capri at that time as well as his prodsaloons!
You're absoloutely right, it was '78 and he raced it alongside a Dolomite in prod saloons before 79 when he raced the Dolly in BTCC and prod saloons, whoops!!

I think he lost interest in modern cars (hence why he bought and sold the Costin bodied Lister Jag, the Lola T70, etc). There was stuff away from the track too, the court case with BL, divorce, business commitments. You also have to remember he was lucky to be alive and walking after the accident in '79 and I thnk the few races he came back and did he came back too soon and just had had enough of certain people on that scene.

It would have been great to see him in a Capri or Rover and of course he was supposed to be in a Rover that all went belly up as mentioned above!!

Unfortunatley I'm not what happened with the Capri, I think Colin had it back as his single seater career had sort of failed really.