View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2015, 01:11 (Ref:3524522)   #57
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
while that is no doubt true across the general population i dont think that it necessarily holds among the relatively small segment of the population that one hopes through natural ability and training over the course of their lives will lead them to F1.

rather does a 17 year old boy ~100lbs boy necessarily have stronger better conditioned legs then a ~100llbs 30 year old who has been competing in said sport for considerably longer?

probably true 90-99% of the time that the boy is stronger but at the same time this should be about what exceptional people are capable of and not an examination of the ordinary. at the least i need to see it action before i can pass judgment.

I deal with professional woman athletes and realistically they are at about the level of; and below in terms of physicality; of top class 16 year old boys who are not even on the same planet as far as male professionals would be.

Quote:
agree with you there. F1 has become obsessed and too focused on a certain body type to the exclusion of looking for the best drivers regardless of size shape and also gender.

i think that this discussion and the one about max/age are examples of this. imo there is no 'one right way' to run this formula and overspecialization prevents change especially when change is needed.
We are on the same page here Chillibowl, really bothers me that F1 does not sort out the size and weight issues, they are easily fixed, and would allow people like Nico Hulkenberg to be properly competitive. McLaren have already publicly stated that they are not interested in Hulkenberg because of his size! That to me is scandalous!

Quote:

not sure how i feel about that quote. cant argue with her because she is in a far better position to answer this question than i am but i do take issue with the philosophy she is espousing (also dont know the context it was given in so could be completely off base with this).

this sort of sounds like 'if i cant win why bother trying' to me.

lots of examples of guys in F1 who will never be anything other than a very very distant second, should they also not bother? (well some maybe shouldn't)

anyways, lets see some women run a couple of races first before the 'how long will it take a woman to win the title' debate starts.
The FIA should at least gather the top women drivers together and find out what they believe the hurdles to being competitive are!

Expecting somebody to compete where the hurdle to entry is just too high before you change the regulations just guarantees that they will fail.

There are stories of drivers using two feet on the brake pedal in modern F1 cars, if true, this alone would preclude a woman from competing against the men.

Let us at least ask the woman who are at the elite level why they think are uncompetitive with the men!