View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1218668)   #153
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racer69, you know, it never occurred to me that I'd only seen black and white photos of the Schembri car... In that case, it would make sense it was the ex-Rogers car, but if Rogers' 1990 Bathurst car was the ex-Grice car, why didn't Garry use his own?

On the GIO VN, the car appeared at the Lakeside ATCC round in Gibbs' hands and at the Eastern Creek ATCC round and the last two AMSCAR rounds with Onslow at the wheel. At the last AMSCAR round, it ran a silver and red Chicago Pneumatics livery.

anthony81901, I think in the Australian Muscle Car article on Bathurst-winning HRT VL, Percy said that there were two cars in the shop that Tom had bought; a road car shell and the #20 car from Bathurst 1988 (which - although it doesn't state it in the article - had been repaired since its undignified exit from that race, having done some testing at Calder in early 1989 with Neil Crompton at the wheel). I'm sure I've seen it written somewhere else that Percy's ATCC car was definitely one of the Perkins-built cars from Bathurst the previous year; the fact that it ran centrelocks instead of the standard Perkins five-stud hubs probably isn't that significant because it looks like they're using the same wheels the #20 car used, hence the use of different hubs - longshot, but I'm working from pictures here!

On the subject of the #20 car, in The Great Race 8 it says that at Sandown, the works team had three cars; the brand new #10 for Perkins/Hulme, Perkins' ATCc car up-specced and running #11 in Allam/Hahne's hands and the TWR-built car. Curiously, it says that Tom was supposed to use the TWR-built car at Sandown, but it also states that it was the sister car to the Herbie Clips car that raced at Silverstone.