Thread: Buying fuel
View Single Post
Old 24 May 2015, 22:35 (Ref:3540857)   #19
Nial McCabe
Rookie

United States
New Jersey - USA
Nial McCabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's interesting to read this. All of the race tracks I've seen in the northeast USA have leaded racing fuel available on site. And since decent fuel isn't available anywhere else, we have no choice (it is not legal to buy leaded fuel at retail gasoline dealers in the US).

Our very best unleaded "high test" gasoline for street cars is only 93 octane (RON method). And much of our street gas is 10% ethanol, which is OK for detonation but can be a pain in the neck for long term storage (as sometimes happens with race cars in off-season).
So I never carry much fuel, except what is in the fuel cell. I always buy at the track.

It is technically possible to buy 100 octane "LL" (low lead) fuel at some airports, but the airports folks don't always like to do it and the fuel isn't that great anyway....and it's expensive.

When I was just at the Summit Point race track last weekend, I paid about $11 a gallon for 110 octane leaded racing fuel. In your numbers, I think that's about 2 GBP per liter.
Most other tracks are similar except Watkins Glen which just switched to 98 octane unleaded gas only at their track pumps (Watkins Glen is owned by NASCAR and this is part of a NASCAR initiative). My car is probably OK on 98 octane, but I'm not sure how some of my other friends will deal with it. I've been told the octane boosters we have here are not really very effective.