View Single Post
Old 4 Feb 2017, 22:29 (Ref:3709727)   #88
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt :
Sadly more tracks have vanished in Conn than are left . Bridgeport Speedway , Savin Rock in West Haven , Danbury and Plainville all gone

Stafford use to be a Dirt Track Thompson seemed like it ALWAYS needed upgrades

Back in the late 60's early 70's I was the Track Liason official at Charlotte Motor Speedway now called Loews . A very interesting career choice to say the least .Track updates , Condo units on turn 1 , Putting in the Motorsports Industrial park behind the speedway . You would never know it now but for years that Industrial Park location use to be a Land-fill for Charlottes Garbage . Talk about Construction PREP work

Back to Conn there also use to be a 1/5 mile paved track in Stratford Conn that use to run T Q Midgets ? at the time late 50's ? I also seem to recall possibly back in the 90's the TQ's use to run at Stafford ?

Lastly my father use to be a General Contractor in Shelton I remember him coming home one evening and announcing he had just purchases "The Race Track Property "
Which track are you talking about I said ? unbeknownst to me in Shelton back in the 30's there use to be a 2/3 mile dirt track I had never heard about that . Apparently they ran dirt open wheel " Champ " cars or what ever was the top cars of that era .It shut down at the start of WW2 and never re-opened . You could not see the track from the present location at the time as many trees blocked the view . You could actually see where the track was by the rotted wood fence posts . It did have slight banking to it but sadly where the track actually was I remember lots of erosion and actual trees growing Oh Well !! I did find a small sign very faded paint I have it hanging in my Man Cave