Thread: GT Open 2017
View Single Post
Old 31 May 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3737805)   #82
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
You see it as a waste, but I don't think that. I've always liked GT Open, more so in the past when they had GTE's running as well. If Lexus wants to run there or GT Open invited them, it only helps the series become more prominent. I'm tired of Blancpain being the only series where the 'big guys' should run in Europe. And your example of what Bentley was doing in their first year is somewhat comparable to what Lexus are now doing. Two different teams in Europe, two different teams in Japan and one team in the U.S.

You didn't answer my question about what makes or if Emil Frey/Farnbacher (are) better than other teams racing in GT Open. It's not a trick question, I'm curious if that's the case.
I thought I covered that? They're both being worked backed in a series which is effectively an Am focused series, despite the inclusion of the Pro Pro class. Farnbachers really need no introduction on why they're considered so good - that's like asking why Pratt and Miller are considered so good. Emil Frey, again, is worked backed in a series that IMO is below that standard. I'm not saying GT Open is a bad series, and certainly not saying it isn't fun. But if you're a manufacturer and supporting teams with reputation, history, knowledge and experience of the level of the Farnbachers, then IMO you're shooting pretty low going for GT Open.

Bentley was selling cars to Dyson as a customer, not a works backed effort, but was running cars in the top available series in the US that it could fight for overall wins in, and the top series in Europe. You could argue that Lexus is in the top series in the US (some will disagree, but I do think IMSA is better than PWC now), but it is running a works team in an Am class again. It is certainly in the top class in Asia. But it is not the top series in Europe by any stretch of the imagination. I see the comparison you're trying to draw, but I disagrees. Bentleys first ever GT3 car took less time to develop than the Lexus, and entered at a higher level, and with the appropriate level of factory involvement. I haven't had time to look up the Lambo effort, but I don't know much about the teams relationship with the factory anyway - and that gets more complicated with the fact that half of that car is an Audi.

If you're tired of Blancpain being the top series and want others to run elsewhere, that's fine. I understand that, especially with how flakey SRO is, and a lot of people aren't a fan or Rattel which is understandable. But that doesn't change the fact that Blancpain, like it or not, is a significantly higher standard than anything else in Europe at the moment, and a challenge that Lexus is still missing out on, years after beginning development of the GT3 car.

So yeah, I do see it as a waste. I see it as a waste that it took so damn long to develop it, and then we don't get a true representation of its speed because it's entered in a series that's a lower standard, and a class that it shouldn't be involved in. I can't wait to see some factory Lexus/Lexuses/Lexii in the wild, in the top series, with the top teams and the top drivers, and without Dodgy Paul putting a black mark on things. That's what I'm after and looking forward to.