View Single Post
Old 18 Jul 2017, 01:28 (Ref:3752293)   #155
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
In LMP1, if Porsche decide to leave, then Toyota will have to decide what to do. Will they get what in theory should be an easy win, or will they leave because of a lack of direct competition?

IMO, we're getting mixed messages from Toyota. They say that they race mostly for R&D value, but at the same time they've stated a preference for at least one other team to be a direct competitor.

The best thing is that if both Porsche and Toyota leave, it could make LMP1 at LM and the WEC next year a free for all. The slate will be entirely wiped clean, which is something that hasn't happened to such a degree for nearly 25 years.
The last real free for all was back in 1995 and that was the year the McLarens won overall. The year before in 1994 was crazy too. The Dauer 962 won as a quasi GT1 car. Cool to note the Nissan GTS cars that won the 36 hours of Florida entered Le Mans and finished 5th.

I agree with your statement for sure. I think we'll know what Porsche does by the end of the month. I hope Toyota will decide quickly what to do after that. The privateer teams won't do anything until both manufacturers announce their intentions.

Then again Toyota could pull something like a Le Mans only run in 2018.