View Single Post
Old 25 Apr 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2679412)   #23
rkshanahan
Rookie

rkshanahan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phoenix,

The bottom of the cylinder head is completely flat, so the only combustion chamber is the dish on top of the piston. The picture below shows an SCA piston on the left and an SCC piston on the left. The Autocar article mentions that the '64 SCA pistons had the offset chamber like the one on the left and that the '65 SCA engines went to a shape more like the piston on the right. I assume that the SCC was a '65 engine and hence had the later chamber shape.

You seem to be keen on engine theory, so I would be interested in your opinion about the 1500cc SCB. I am currently building one of these engines as an SCB to fit in my Lola. Cosworth claimed to get 175hp, which would make it competitive against the Twincam powered cars I have to run against here. I have ordered a long stroke crank, shorter rods, and custom pistons. I have taken one of the large port heads and put in the biggest valves I can fit (1.60 in/1.35 ex). My cylinder head man is looking at things on the flowbench so I can get some data to select the cam profile, likely more lift and less duration than the original SCA cam. Do you think it is really possible to get 175hp out of such an engine? A friend of mine used to run against Brian Redman in F2 when he was using an SCB engine in '66 or '67 and he remembers Brian had more power than his Twincam but less than the FVAs. I assume that a Twincam probably made 150hp back in that time.

More later,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0513.jpg