View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3718967)   #18
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
Look, big grids can make average racing look good.
Totally agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
A small grid with a spectacular battle is worth the price of admission.
Totally disagree! Sorry, but a small grid with cars out of sight for most of a lap at Pukekohe for example, is never going to be worth the price of admission.

If we look at competitor cost/ability as just one pyramid, then my guess is that as Mark has pointed out, those at the very top are very few in number.

If you split it into two pyramids, those with big bucks are also a tiny number and those with exceptional ability are also a tiny number.

They may or may not be atop both pyramids.

You can just as easily use the bell curve principal, where the top 2.5% are real talent and the bottom 2.5% should never ever be on the track.

So, logically, the bulk of competitors are of a reasonable standard, generally with a modest budget, an increasing number of older drivers on a reducing budget, so if we want decent sized grids, (and I certainly do), then there may indeed be a star or two buried in very ordinary classes and they are the ones who do need a realistic stepping stone to better things, either open wheeler or tintop.

We can all name drivers who have a reasonable degree of talent, who, with a better budget could probably do very well in a higher category, but that has always been the case.

Sorry, this isn't advancing the OP's question any, but my usual ramble!