View Single Post
Old 19 Nov 2016, 15:35 (Ref:3689382)   #48
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

Americans to be honest don't know any better, their motorsport diet is built around oval racing, so the prize oney is immense, the ladder to top series like Late Models, Sprint cars and NASCAR is there for them, unlike anywhere else in the world, hence their short oval and oval racing in general attracts the kind of crowds we get for F1, MotoGP and other large events.

I personally dislike US racing, it is all non contact. the thing I like about most UK short oval racing. Yes the cars look great, are fast, but the racing is so so in my opinion.
Plenty of contact in the lower ranks at the local level.

Would much rather watch a field of street stocks(think 80s monte carlos) around a 1/3 mile oval than anything at the TV level of NASCAR.

I think the main problem for y'all in the UK is the size of the tracks. All are pretty much 1/4 mile and relatively flat. I feel if you built a 1/3 or 3/8 mile track with some decent banking you'd see even better racing, especially out of the non-contact formulas.

Also, ditch the standing starts and separation by class. You can have the cars separated by talent level, but have them do a 2x2 rolling start in one pack, rather than the groups of cars and a standing start.

This is my local track where we run a late model, it's the perfect size for most oval categories. In this video are Street Stocks and Ministocks. They mostly all start as a factory stock vehicle that has been preped for racing, so they're perfectly safe and fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM-JOFhZr6s