View Single Post
Old 30 Mar 2003, 22:15 (Ref:553210)   #5
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
first of all, very impressive work, Fab.

1999 race was so impressive because of two things: The number of major manufacturer´s involved and because of the Mercedes-Benz airline flights. As a race itself 1998 was better (´til 23rd hour there was a real fight between Boutsen´s toyota and McNish´s porsche) After MB´s incident ACO did everything they could to slow the cars down, introducing a Gurney Flap in the rear wing to slow the speeds, reducing the air restrictor, reducing side plates of rear wings and modification to the front fenders... Some cars were more affected than others, and that could explain how Panoz fared so badly, because basically is the same 99 car.
In those three years Audi has created the most impressive prototype of recent years, and there has been no manufacturer to seriously confront this (I don´t think Cadillac neither Chrysler were prepared to so so. American way of thinking...). With 3 or 4 years of development is very logic that the speeds are greater in every category. Over a lap, Porsche´s GT3 is at least equal to the more powerful and older GT2. Car design has developed a lot. All we have to hope is for a real race in our hands (remember 98&99), and I guess ingredients are in place. Bentley is favourite, but don´t discard the Audis. A question: 2003 Bentley team, with new car and star drivers VS 2002 Joest Audi works team. Do you really think Bentley will stand a chance?. Let me know..