View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2018, 19:26 (Ref:3805297)   #43
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say Eriksson is the man who got rallycross in the spotlight. He went to USA in order to get rallycross going over there and in a longer run internationally. The OMSE truck and bus for example had Global Rallycross striped on it when they competed in Europe.

Once things started to get serious over there, FIA put ERC up for sale or promotion, probably to conquer out GRC and to keep the top level of rallycross in Europe since a few went over and others also thought of going there.

Unfortunately IMG were the only ones (thinking of how things are looking nowadays) that were interested. Hansen was very much onboard and other profiles like Solberg and Ekström was very positive of how serious things were going to get since it was somewhat of an low level and privateer sport compared to others.

It went serious in a bad direction though and I don't think there was a way to stop it really unless everyone had been protesting. However, I know for a fact that things could have been much worse.

Finally, there apparently is ANOTHER championship getting started in USA for at least Supercars. Don't know though if it is related to the series that Stohl is building electric rallycross cars for.