View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 2018, 01:22 (Ref:3791876)   #24
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
They are tried multiple times to bring that truck stateside and the truck division apparently vetoes it. It's usually blamed on the ever-present chicken tax, light truck tariff is the ONLY piece of that legislation left on the books and Ford hates it with a passion. See the warehouses in Baltimore filled with Transit city van seats so they could be imported at a lower tax rate. It was rumored that Ranger chassis would be the basis of the new Bronco (really a Bronco II, it's NOT on a 150 chassis so baby bronco) but I haven't followed that in a while. The latest articles I've seen from fall all indicate that Ranger is coming, although it was 2018 and now it's 2020 MY. And the Bronco will be based off of the Ranger but not as small as a Bronco II. But the Ranger is slightly smaller than that Ranger so...???

Supposedly settlements were exchanged by FCA and the EPA and the findings were released. Trucks all meet/exceed diesel emissions, equipment on the engines were found to be not included in the tested engine spec and could potentially allow changes outside of the tested spec. After testing, no changes were noted but still a violation of emissions rules. The last I had seen was an estimated 1-2k per vehicle was a well accepted guess but who knows. No emissions testing Ga on diesel vehicles so it doesn't really impact me in the wallet.

It is supposedly the same engine since the introduction. The only change caused a delay in 2016 model release, oil changed from a single spec 5W-30 to the more commonly available Rotella T6 style 5W-40 after engine wear concerns. So far at 85k in 3.5 years I'm running around 25 mpg with mostly city driving. A full city tank I can dip to 22-23. On the highway, over 30 most of the time, especially if I can keep it under 70. Highest tank I remember was 835 miles on less than the full 26 gallon tank going to and from Charlotte. And that's with the one of the heaviest curb weight chassis you can get, 5705 of my 6950 GVWR.

Drawbacks so far are small for me. It does not have a manual DPF switch so I have had warnings to get on the highway to burn the filter clean, 30 mph commuting on Atlanta city streets doesn't get it hot enough. I have had 2 limp-mode errors, both early on, and one involved a month in the shop. And the standard 3rd brake light leak kept filling the underseat box with water, fixed on warranty with new under carpet padding. An oil change, like most diesels is costly; think I'm usually around 125 bucks but filters are still only available at the dealership or online in multipacks I always forget to order. And 10k change interval helps a bit but diesel oil is expensive and it takes gallons. Amazon Eco-diesel filters are NOT the right ones usually it seems. And I'm on the 5th fuel filter at 50 bucks and hour of my time.

It does make me laugh to read Autoweek's gushing over the Jag built 3L diesel ending up in the F-150 with the 10 speed. They keep harping on it breaking 30 mpg on the EPA rating. They haven't kept up with the Ram, 2016 and up Rams have a 27 4x4, 29 4x2 rating but keep reporting a 27 EPA rating. Expected to be 30 mpg with the Express HFE if it gets approval for 2018, but the EPA has held up ALL 2018 light-duty diesels from approval so far. And ZF and Aisin both have thoughts about the GM/Ford 10 speed and it is NOT good. ZF made a 10 and Bentley wouldn't buy it, searched for gears all day and cost 50% more. I couldn't imagine the truck searching for more gears and I'm usually at 1250 rpm at 65 as it is, there just isn't power any lower so why hold the engine there or every dip, crest, flinch on the throttle will be a shift.
So long story short, FCA broke some paper rules but none in real life and are still being punished? Do I have that right?

I didn't know you had those issues or I forgot. You bought into the Ecodiesel very early though, correct?

I have not driven the 10 speed yet but I didn't like the ZF paired with the Hemi. Too many gears and it felt like it was constantly hunting on the highway. I better get used to it though as that's probably what I'll be driving in 3-5 years!