View Single Post
Old 7 Aug 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1677023)   #14
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is one problem here. WHO is going to race them? I don't want to be the harbinger of doom.

SCSA as a support? I don't think so. SCSA has it's own problems. There are things happening there to try and breath new life into it. Here are some figures to frighten you.

Last year, if your SCSA car made it to the grid, and took the start, you got £3000 up your shirt.

Due to a loss of backing for the series, the change of circuit ownership, etc..

For the first part of this year, to appear on the grid would have cost you £1370. That's why nobody is/was there.

While the pickups are fast, close, and very racy, they are not the angry cars that people go to rockingham to watch. Purists, please stop before you post. The PUBLIC are the people who go to be entertained by big V8 angry cars, not close packs of shrieking pickups.

There has never been a better time to "invest" in a European spec ASA car (ASCAR/SCSA whatever), as you can get your hands on one for around £10K.
The engine's worth that on it's own (450bhp 'spec' GM Vortec/LS1), add to that the Jerico gearbox worth about £3K, and the Superspeedway spec Winters axle worth again, about £3-5K.

I very good friend of mine runs a short circuit website, and often talks to members of the general public at various meetings.
He has found....
They love CAMSO, SCSA, F1 stocks, and want to love NASCAR over here. The one thing in common - V8.
The NHRPA HotRods provide excellent racing, but nothing beats the spectacle of BriSCA F1. It's a noise thing.

He also has the ear of the current SCSA organisers, and recently, the entry "fee" has been dropped.

V8 Stars failed because it's opposition was the steamroller that is DTM. The cars have a new lease of life in the Rhino's GT's, Dutch Supercar Challenge, and the new EERC Dunlop V8 Supercar Challenge.

I 'WANT' to see SCSA survive. Part of me wants to race there, subject to budget. Fingers crossed, I'm finally doing my "rookie training" this coming Friday, so I'll be one step closer.

So, get off your collective's and go to Rockingham this coming weekend. The "supports" for the SCSA are some two-bit championships called British GT, and British F3.

Rob.