View Single Post
Old 6 Nov 2007, 09:00 (Ref:2060904)   #15
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio
graeme...

I was going to suggest the same! Cheap, cheap cars, that could be run possibly arrive-n-drive (as I remember certain teams in FFirst used to advertise themselves as at the time). Something to give karters a chance to REALISTICALLY afford to race in, as a pre-cursor to FFord. Multiple series maybe - a la Caterham Academy groups 1 and 2. The people with the know-how to make such a thing succeed (MSV - past experience with FPA, Racing Club, circuits, etc, etc) read these forums apparently.....

(Apologies for digressing.... Just imagining the prospect of 25 youngsters in cheap-n-easy-to-fix single seaters doing say, a 3-meet, 9-race winter-series around Brands or Snett - I`d go and watch - but I`m a bit sad like that...).
Motor racing history is littered with such things. Formula First, Formula Forward, Zip, they all came and went.
They burst on the scene dressed up in flowery words about helping the youth of today to become the grand prix stars of tomorrow, but the reality is they are there to make someone a lot of money. When they fail to do so they are tossed on one side.
There is no cheap way of racing, just varying degrees of expense. Certainly no arrive and drive scheme can be cheap, the sums simply don't add up.
The cheapest way to go single seater racing is still the same as it always was. Buy a used car a FF, F vee, FR or whatever grabs you and a set of tools, get a mate to go with you and off you go.