Old 17 Jul 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2927710)   #33
Drummer
Rookie

England
Northamptonshire, England
Drummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89 View Post
Why not just stop motorsport altogether? Then there'll be no risk at all.

I don't think it is necessary. Firstly, in my opinion it would look ridiculous and secondly, there will presumably be an issue with vacating the car within X seconds. Thirdly...just no. What next, wrapping the cars in cotton wool?
HEAR HEAR! Let's go one further and go back to wearing leather helmets. Hey, why don't we close all the roads and railways, ground all the planes, dig up all the airfields into crop fields and un-invent the wheel. I think we were much better off in the stone age!

Sarcasm aside, I think this could be a very good idea. I mean, if we've exhausted all our options with head and neck protection and so forth, this would probably be the next level. Also, with regards to extraction time, surely some of those LeMans cars are a bit awkward? I didn't hear of anyone moaning about those!

Motorsport is evolving all the time, and I think this is one idea that could work, if it's implemented correctly. Let's face it, you can't get much worse of an idea than "controlling the weather", now, can you? It just shows that not all these ideas are from La La Land!

[EDIT] Idea!: Why not have a device that, upon releasing the belts, releases the canopy too? That would work for the driver. For marshals, I don't suppose an extra button to push would be that horrifying of a thought... Would it?

Last edited by Drummer; 17 Jul 2011 at 14:29.