Thread: 10Ths Icon Getting to know you!
View Single Post
Old 11 Jul 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1653765)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, well I'm approaching 57 and semi retired with a Wife and two sons, one of whom I inflicted my car/motorsport disease on to such an extent that he now works for Autosport.

I've been heavily into cars and motor racing since I was about 3 when my love of Aston Martins, which has never faltered, started. I've never owned one however! You can guess why! My first attendance at a proper motor race was not until 1966. Unlike Craig, (these youngsters get bored so easily) I still do like the Silverstone/Thruxton/Snetterton (and a few circuits besides) thing, although as many will know this is based around my love of (but not exclusively so) historic racing.

Back in the mid 70's and again briefly in the late 80's I sprinted in Reliant Sabre 6GT, Scimitar Coupe and Ginetta G15 with more enthusiasm than success!

I own a small collection of classic cars (none particularly valuable, I hasten to add!), am a member of a number of owners clubs and subscribe to Motor Sport, Octane, Classic and Sports Car and The Automobile monthly mags, as well as being a regular reader of other motor mags, including, obviously, Autosport. I too, have a fairly substantial library of motor racing books and collect motor racing programmes. I have large collection of 1/43 scale models with an inevitably Aston and BMW theme although I also collect certain liveries like Martini, Jagermeister and Hasseroder. Stirling Moss remains my motor racing hero, although to a certain extent all racers are heroes to me, at any level!

I spend far too long on 10-Tenths when I should be doing other things.
I also love Steam engines and old aircraft, so I'm not quite one tracked!

I still have aspirations to own an Aston, write a couple of motor racing books and do bit of historic racing. It remains to be seen whether I achieve any or all of these ambitions!

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Jul 2006 at 09:16. Reason: Repeating myself!