Thread: Worst crash...
View Single Post
Old 23 Dec 2003, 14:21 (Ref:819028)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hey Verglas, that is a very serious account of F3000 accident man. I'm big fan of the category and i think it was probably '87? You're right Alfie, i think, had 'bottled it' after that, which was a shame because he was seriously quick up til then.

Not as a competitor but as spectator i can think of two accidents that have stayed with me, both also F3000.
1. Delestre/Tassin shunt by s/f straight bridge, wet race Silverstone '86. Was half way up grandstand and watchin Tassin crawling, Delestre comes along the straight in the spray and i'm thinking 'he ain't seeing him.' Sure enough he vaulted over the back in a sickening high energy smash and i think both drivers single seaters ambitions ended there that day. Marshalls' did well to sort it out.

Second one was Herbert's at Brands '88. I was on inside of track between Surtees and Pilgrim's Drop for the restart after Foitek and Moreo had collided. I remember looking at his gearbox as he went into the wall after the contact with Foitek (again). That has to be worse shunt i've ever seen cos it all then kicked off going down the hill and there was debris everywhere, i was thinking poor Johnny was a gonner.

I'd have to say that i was singularly unimpresssd when that crash then found its way onto a popular video series - you know the title - which patently wasn't the case here!!

Worse TV crash i've seen is Greg Moore's. Deeply distressing. Nuff said.