View Single Post
Old 8 Jan 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3700970)   #80
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For spectating I always enjoy Brands, Oulton and Snetterton because there are vantage points from which you can see several corners. I am privileged at Silverstone as I have access to the BRDC facilities but what this means is that I watch the support races on TV and through the clubhouse complex. The thing that is missing for me is any way of seeing the actual cars close up as we could do in my early years of visiting GPs. I agree that issuing "paddock passes" would add cost to spectating but seeing the cars is central to my enjoyment.

Fact is that the new owners will want to expand the fan base and there is a limit to that with actual race attendance. It can only grow on TV and the web so that is where they will put the emphasis but that requires the actual races to happen at real circuits and crowds at those circuits add atmosphere. Whether it is important where those circuits are is I suppose debatable but I would have thought recognisable venues would be a plus in the virtual arena.

I fear we are in for lots of uncertainty but the BRDC simply cannot afford the present contract.