Thread: IMSA Race 2017 12 Hours of Sebring
View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3720229)   #485
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Poultry

Responding to: Originally Posted by canamman :
"10 hrs of rain got tedious but: You may have missed the closing stages of the 24 then.
P- 1-2 nose to tail
GTLM - 1,2,3 nose to tail
GTD - 1,2,3 (and I think 4) nose to tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
A close finish does not make a good race. No, I didn't miss the 24, watched probably 20 hours of it and definitely all of the last 3 or 4. GTLM is never a point of contention. The P class is, guess you didn't catch that from my post.
Ansd here it is. Do people appreciate racing, or are they in it for the adrenaline-rush finish.

This isn't drag racing. Even the micro-race (100 minutes) at Long Beach includes a pit stop. Except for drag racing and maybe Rallycross, racing is about process more than result.

Too many modern fans (seemingly) can only appreciate the amount of action that can fit in a clip on Facebook. Racing is not that sort of sport.

A close finish doesn't make a Bad race ... and it can sort of make up for a bad race for many fans ... But even a multi-lap win doesn't ruin a good race.

People who need "nose-to-tail" finishes maybe should consider other sports.

Plenty of sports don't depend upon adrenaline-inducing risk or close finishes to generate a lot of fans, investment, and profit---think Golf, for instance.

If we constantly demand razor-thin margins of victory, before long we will be seeing one-lap, five-car shootouts ... and the "enduros" will be five laps, but no one will watch.

If the only part of a twelve-hour race that matters to you, is the final 12 seconds ... might I suggest NASCACR (well, the races Seem like they are 12 hours long.)