View Single Post
Old 31 Jan 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2622663)   #21
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
No it doesn't. Just turn the ignition off and don't remove the key and you'll be fine.

Jim
Perhaps lacking in brakes after a short time and maybe power steering.

What happens to electric power steering with the ignition off? It's something I have never really thought about. Presumably it would still be driven from the battery (assuming charge available) if the engine was off but the ignition turned on?

Likewise gear changing. Automatics would be somewhat stuffed for regaining control of an errant engine so switching off might be the only option. What about the ever more popular semi-auto transmissions with electronic clutches? Presumably they would be stuck in whatever gear they had last selected? Or do they have some sort of by-pass to allow consumption from the battery anyway? I am thinking in terms of being able to select 'Park' before starting if the gear selection is in the worng position for some reason. Or maybe the position selction does not matter anyway for most of them and anomalies are 'sorted out' in the period immediately after ignition is engaged?

Another thought. How do remote /button operated starts function if you have a need to turn off the engine whilst running? One of my daughters had keyless entry and button start/stop on a previous car but we never had the need to discover what happened in the even of attempting to switch off whilst moving. As I recall the semi-auto box had to be in park (or maybe neutral as an alternative) before the engine could be switched off. I could be wrong. I can't check because the car is gone.