edholly
Rookie

Australia
sydney
edholly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkshanahan View Post
Gentlemen,

Below is a shot of the SCA cam carrier, cam, tappet, and bearing inserts. Interesting that the cam carrier and caps are cast iron, I assume to provide a good bearing surface for the tappets. It appears that the cam bearing inserts are same as Twincam, but the tappets are different, actually a little larger in diameter. Too bad, as I had assumed I would be able to use off the shelf tappets. Now it looks like I will be spending some money with Arrow for custom tappets, as I only have one set of tappets between the four engines.

Tony, thanks for the info on the SCC engine, as I had not been able to find anything. How did you come accross all the Cosworth data sheets?

Regards,

Rob
The cam carrier design looks to me very much like it could have been copied from a Coventry Climax FWA/FWE/FWB, maybe the buckets are the same size if that is the case. Climax buckets are 1.398 inches as best I can measure with them in the head. Not sure of the length or internal step height, but a check with a Climax stockist - Dave Bean, Bill Hutton etc would soon tell you.

The SCA SCB are to me a real jewel of a motor ...

Photo is of a rare 5 bearing version of the Climax carrier in an FWA from a Lotus Eleven that has been apart now for over 30 years.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Climax 5 brg cam 007.jpg  

Last edited by edholly; 10 Jul 2010 at 23:25. Reason: add photo