View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2445939)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
If the car is pointing downhill then leave it in a forwards gear. If it is pointing uphill then leave it in reverse.

The reason being that if the hill turns the engine, it will at least turn it forwards which is much less likely to cause belts or chains to jump, wrecking the timing and destroying the engine when you next start it.

If you parking up for a long period of time (e.g. on holiday or storing over the winter) then leave it in gear with the handbrake disengaged to avoid it seizing on.
I agree with the last paragraph; the first two are a bit technical for me, although they sound sensible. I had a (genuine) Saab Turbo period in my life and with them there was no choice; you had to put the car in reverse gear before being able to remove the ignition key.